The Macy-Colby House

259 Main Street, Amesbury, Massachusetts

(Open to visit Memorial Day through Labor Day)

The Macy-Colby House Website



The original house was built by Thomas Macy, probably about 1649, and sold to Anthony Colby in 1654. The structure was extensively modified by Obadiah Colby in the early 1740's. Nine generations of Colby's lived in this house. The original builder, Thomas Macy, was Amesbury's first town clerk, held many town offices, and was involved in numerous land transactions. He left Amesbury in 1659, becoming the first European settler to establish his family on the island of Nantucket. In 1899, Moses L. Colby donated the house and property to the Bartlett Cemetery Association as a memorial to the Colby and Macy families, and to the people of Amesbury, Massachusetts. Please visit the Macy-Colby website linked above. There is a wealth of information on this site!

Relationship to me:

Moses L. Colby (1822 - 1901)
5th cousin 5x removed

Captain William Colby (1775 - 1850
father of Moses L. Colby

Obadiah Colby (1731 - 1814)
father of Captain William Colby

Obadiah Colby (1706 - 1749)
father of Obadiah Colby

Samuel Colby II (1671 - 1747)
father of Obadiah Colby

Samuel Colby (1638 - 1716)
father of Samuel Colby II

Anthony Colby (1606 - 1660) 9th Great Grandfather
father of Samuel Colby

Mary Colby (1647 - 1716)
daughter of Anthony Colby

Lydia Sargent * (1688 - 1758)
daughter of Mary Colby

Mary Straw * (1712 - 1788)
daughter of Lydia Sargent *

Elizabeth Colby * (1731 - 1770)
daughter of Mary Straw *

John Straw * (1756 - 1823)
son of Elizabeth Colby *

Samuel Straw * (1792 - 1875)
son of John Straw *

Ambrosia Arianna "Anna" Straw * (1843 - 1927)
daughter of Samuel Straw *

Oscar Henry Burns * (1874 - 1934)
son of Ambrosia Arianna "Anna" Straw *

Homer William Burns * (1908 - 1988)
son of Oscar Henry Burns *

Carol Ann Burns * (1933 - 2013)
daughter of Homer William Burns *

Linda Ann Fagan Poplin
daughter of Carol Ann Burns *